We are developing a self-sustainable hospital in an extremely under-served area of the Indian state of Jharkhand. This rural area lacks access to a capable health facility despite the strong prevalence of malaria, typhoid, tuberculosis and dysentery as well as high infant mortality rates. We exist to serve and support this resilient community.
How Do We Plan To Accomplish This?
We believe in the power of community. We believe together we can do great things. The collective soul of this hospital is made up of the intent of hundreds of donors across the globe who have each given a little to create lot. Our belief is that if we extend our hand, people will get up and be able to stand on their own.
In India, we have partnered with Jagriti Vihara, a well-respected Indian NGO established in 1975 in Jharkhand by esteemed educator Shri S. Upadhyay. They have been our partner through construction of the hospital and will continue to oversee its daily operations. Jagriti Vihara currently operates numerous local programs, vocational training, and schools for hundreds of children. This partnership will bypass established interests and political squabbles and engage a committed local organization with a proven record of serving the local community.
Access to basic healthcare in rural India has been extremely limited, despite the acceleration in economic growth over the last decade. This has had a vast impact on India’s population where over 60% live in rural areas. Inequity in India’s healthcare system has led to the proliferation of highly preventable diseases. Women and young children are among those most impacted:
· 50% of all villagers have no access to healthcare providers.
· 37% are chronically starved
· 10% of all babies die before their first birthday
· 50% of all babies are likely to be permanently stunted due to lack of proper nutrition
The diseases that are the leading cause of death include tuberculosis, malaria, diarrhea and maternal conditions. The problem is particularly acute in rural areas of Jharkand, where Jagriti Vihar is located. Through the operation of a clinic, the intense need for a hospital has become apparent. Local people must spend over a day’s salary to travel to the nearest hospital, unclear whether they will receive treatment. Malaria, TB, diarrhea and high infant mortality are endemic in the region. The hospital will focus on primary care and treatment of these preventable diseases through medication and education outreach.
Source: Indiafacts.in and India Development gateway
1) Who is the core staff at the hospital?
At the moment Dr Anjani Kumar (who goes by Dr. Sushil Kumar) leads the hospital, after having joined as an assistant to the previous head doctor. He was born / raised nearby, is in his 30s, did his medical training at Patna University, the premier medical institution in the largest city in the region, and was previously practicing at various nursing homes in Patna. He is supported by a nurse (Laxmi Kumari) and care taker (Mikal Toppo).
2) What are the typical conditions treated by the hospital?
Many chronic and preventable conditions, including:
· Weakness and no sensation in hands or legs
· Backache and pain in lower body
· Muscular pain
· Deep cough and pain in chest
3) Who are the patients coming into the hospital?
70% of the population of patients are tribals — local indigenous people. The other 30% are professionals such as local contractors (mason, electrician, plumber, painter) and shopkeepers in the village.